Thursday, October 14, 2010

Adventures and Revelations In The Big Apple

It has been about a month since I took my first adventure to The Big Apple with fellow intern and Troc employee Jamie. After my return to Omaha has unloaded nothing but nonstop school and work, I am finally getting the chance to sit down and share my New York experiences.

My two biggest concerns leading up to my first time in New York were "How am I going to make it around the city and not get lost?" and "What will I wear?" From the minute we stepped off of the plane, I was terrified that I would get lost somewhere due to my lack of direction and navigation skills. After we made it to the home of our host, Ms. Kim (after a slight detour), I felt a bit more at ease about roaming the streets of the city that never sleeps.

The days to follow were filled with many shopping excursions, as I killed time waiting for my partner in crime to return from interning. Block after block and store after store, I soon realized that New York retail is a lot harder to resist than what I am challenged with back in the "Big O".

The most important thing I learned during my time away is that I prefer a simpler setting to the busy, fast-paced city. As my wallet lightened and my shopping bag collection increased, I contemplated whether the endless commotion and dense crowds were really for me. While the many people, places and happenings are attractive, it can quickly become overwhelming and wearisome, especially for someone like myself. But I haven't given up on NYC just yet. I still have a lot of the city left to explore, and (I am proud to say) I was just getting the hang of making my way around town on the subway.

All in all, it was a great trip and a worthwhile experience. I may not have gotten a copy of Vogue signed by Anna Wintour (as Jamie and Susan did), but I think my souvenirs: an interview on the Fashion At Lincoln Center website and AOL Style are just as neat.

http://new.lincolncenter.org/live/media/fashion/2010-falc-daily/falc-daily-091310-2.html


1 comment:

daphne sy said...

Looks like everyone is having fun again. YAY! x
the fashion spectrum