As August comes to a close, I'm beginning to turn my attention away from silk shorts and floaty dresses and focus it on the upcoming fall trends. Spurred on by the latest September issues of my favorite magazines, I'm ready to saturate my wardrobe with a season full of color!
One of the easiest ways to inject the best and the brightest of autumn's go-to hues is with colored denim. It can seem a bit daunting at first to pick up a pair of cherry-red jeans, but once you open up to it the possibilities are essentially endless, with a shade for every style.
Colored denim is an effortless purchase if you're planning on engaging in color-blocking this fall, the artful mix of two or more solid colors in an ensemble. Knock out two trends in one and invest in a pair - they'll still be relevant with more classic items in years to come. And if you're feeling fashionably risky, also try mastering the monochrome trend and sport the shade from head to toe!
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Monday, August 15, 2011
I love looking for and finding new designers to look to for inspiration. Rachel Zoe, fashion stylist to the stars, recently launched her new line, Rachel Zoe Collection, and I now have a new obsession. If I want to act on this new obsession, I will either need to find a new job or marry a doctor. That being said, the clothes in her collection are a little out of my price range, but the beauty and elegance of the line makes you almost forget about the tags and just splurge! Here are some of my favorites from the new collection:
I wish I could have sequins or glitter on everything I own! These pieces are great for going out with the girls! For a less flashy look, dress them down by just adding a blazer!
Winter can be a drag so make it fun with a chic coat! Play with different textures, patterns and warm colors like the beautiful camel color cape coat above.
A studded pair of ankle booties or an embossed snakeskin bag can make any outfit!
*Photos from Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdales, and Nordstroms (where her products are now on sale).
Friday, August 12, 2011
I never put my hair up, besides the occasional ponytail when I go for a run. Naturally, I've always coveted the girls who can simply 'throw' their hair back in a messy bun that looks effortlessly fabulous. However, while peruing through the Fall runway collections, I found myself thinking the season's popular updos are simple enough for even me to do at home, without taking up too much of my morning prep time. Here are some of the season's favorite & easiest looks:
The Loose Braid (As seen at Lanvin, Pucci, Viktor & Rolf)
This popular summer style is making a nice transition into fall. The loose braid look fares best with previously textured hair--try it on 'day old' curled hair.
The Twist (As seen at Jil Sander, Peter Som, Bottega Veneta, Fendi, and Jean Paul Gaultier)
From dramatic beehives to simple chignons, this look is easier than it appears. For a clean look, blow dry hair smooth and use plenty of bobby pins to secure your twist. If you prefer a more textured look, teese the back of the hair (just a bit! we're not going for the Snookie pouf!) and use plenty of hairspray to create additional volume.
The Low Pony (As seen at Ralph Lauren, Valentino, Dries Van Noten, Prada, Gucci, Balmain, Alexander Wang, and Vera Wang)
Perhaps the easiest updo of the season, the low ponytail is also seemingly the most popular & versatile. Add personal touches, such as feather extensions as seen at Gucci or show off dramatic earrings with this look.
Posted by may at 3:21 PM
Monday, August 8, 2011
Fall is my absolute favorite time of year! There is nothing better than fall fashion. The season is full of comfy sweaters, amazing textures, deep colors, tailored jackets and beautiful dresses paired with dark tights! This fall, I am more excited then ever about the trends I am starting to see. Here are my top three favorite trends of the moment:
1. Feminine Blouses: I am seeing numerous blouses with bow ties at the neck and I am loving it! These feminine yet tailored blouses can make any girl feel like a million bucks. Although I am a huge fan of neutrals, I can't not obsess over the rich and vibrant colors of these tops. Pair them with a fitted skirt or a pair of dark skinnies, layer with a blazer, and you will be set!
2. Longer Lengths: Ladies, put away your mini skirts for the fall and fall in love with longer hem lines. I love the feminine feel of longer skirts and dresses. You don't have to think about what might be hanging out when you bend over. It is a worry free, chic look. If you are more petite, be careful of where the hem line hits you pair this look with heels to make you look longer and leaner.
3. One of the Boys: Menswear inspired looks can make any girl look and feel powerful! If you don't feel comfortable in a menswear inspired look, layer a flowy blouse underneath to add a feminine touch. This look isn't only for the office. For a night out, exchange your trousers for a pair of tailored shorts, tights and a pair of ankle booties.
Saturday, August 6, 2011
When I get bored I tend to resort to stumbleupon.com, either that or food. Last night I was "stumbling" and came across a website called THREADSENCE.
Here is their definition for those of you wondering what they're all about:
"Clothing and fashion at it's very core; basic and invariable nature of a thing; the essence of threads."
Threadsence has a feminine, flirty feel to it with a touch of something different. I like to compare it to Urban Outfitters only not as pricey.
I enjoy rocking the urban feel from time to time when I'm feelin' the mood. You could basically pick out your entire outfit from head to toe if you wanted to without leaving the page, and my favorite part is that you don't have to spend a fortune.
They bring you unique brands from all over, including Tulle, Lamixx, Fluffy Co and Evil Twin, the list goes on believe me.
=$112 for a whole outfit!
For those of you already gearing up for fall, here's my look of choice incorporating other pieces you may already own:
Throw in any graphic tee and your favorite pair of dark skinnies and you're golden!
Graphic Tee: Forever 21 $15.80
Blazer: Threadsence $59
Earrings: Threadsence $9
Sandals: Threadsence $52.50
Check out their website to create your own look, the possibilities are endless!
Monday, August 1, 2011
Never been to Omaha Fashion Week? Now is your chance! All this week, the Troc will doing a special raffle to win a pair of tickets to Omaha Fashion Week going on from August 22-27th.
If you are not familiar with OFW, it is the Midwest's largest fashion event. This event allows designers to showcase their best work and network themselves with other designers, stylists, photographers and models.
In order to enter to win tickets for this highly anticipated event, you must do one of three things, which are:
1. Come into the Troc, buy something fabulous for $50 or more and enter your name in the raffle.
2. Bring in a gently used fashion accessory to the store (shoes, handbags, jewelry, etc.) and we will then donate the items to the Lydia House, along with entering your name in the raffle to win tickets.
3. First, go on Facebook and "like" the Trocadéro page. Then, each day this week the Troc team will be posting a fashion related trivia question and the first person to comment with the correct answer will be entered to win the tickets.
The raffle begins Monday, August 1st and the winner will be drawn on Monday, August 8th. We will then arrange for the tickets to be picked up. Good luck!
Photos from Omaha Fashion Week's Facebook page.