Friday, June 1, 2012

10 Summer Beauty Buys Under $10

With summer right around the corner, it's time your beauty routine gets a little extra punch without a hefty price tag. Update your everyday hair & makeup looks with these affordable beauty buys!

1.) Essie's Summer Collection, $8/each


We've demonstrated on an occasion or two that we're big nail polish junkies here at the Troc, and we're all scrambling to pick up Essie's summer collection. From a stunning dusty pink to a truly lime-colored green, these are the perfect way to add a pop of color to your warm weather ensembles.

2.) Maybelline Color Tattoos, $6/each
These are considered the "drugstore dupe" for MAC's Paint Pots. These creamy, long-wearing eyeshadows are super pigmented and perfect for the summertime when you want to swipe on some color and head out the door. My favorite shades are Bad to the Bronze, Bold Gold, Pomegranate Punk and Tenacious Teal. 

3.) EOS Lip Balm, $3/each


These cute egg-shaped lip balms have taken the beauty world by storm, consistently winning the award for best lip balm across many of the major beauty magazines. In sumptuous flavors like Summer Fruit and Lemon Drop, you may find yourself treating them like Pokemon balls and trying to "catch 'em all." 


It seems like it's harder than it should be to track down a bronzer that isn't packed full of shimmer. I've found myself repurchasing this bargain bronzer more than once -- although the packaging leaves something to be desired, the color is perfect for my skin tone and leaves a soft, satin-y finish. It's also perfect with a big, fluffy brush for adding a golden glow to your shoulders and collarbone!

5.) Revlon Lip Butters, $7.50/each


This product is marketed as a lip balm, lipstick and gloss all in one, and it delivers on that concept. They're the perfect summer lip product -- one quick swipe gives you great pigment without having to worry about a liner or fumbling with a lip gloss. My favorites are Cherry Tart (a sheer red), Cupcake (a light blue-based pink) and Strawberry Shortcake (a standard, wearable shade of pink). 




I love glitter polish in all its forms - as your overall color, a sheer topcoat or just on an "accent nail" like your ring finger. These Milani glitter polishes are the best formula I've come across. Although not exactly opaque in one coat, they build up quickly without too much effort. 


I'm not a false lashes girl. Something about them just reads too "over the top" for my style. These are the one exception - they're perfect for getting full, luscious, I-just-finished-a-round-of-Latisse lashes without looking overtly fake. 



Even expert makeup artists will rave about this flat-top powder brush from Elf. I actually own three of them - for powder, blush and bronzer - and have found them to perform just as well as my higher-end brushes from MAC or Sigma. Save yourself a little money and pick up a few of these bargain brushes for your makeup collection.


I've tried a ton of drugstore self tanners, but I keep finding myself going back to this one. The gradual self-tanner applies quickly, easily and without streaks (if you take your time), and the color builds to a gorgeous shade of bronze. Although I'm fair, I opt for the medium to tan version to get a quicker result, and I usually purchase the 'firming' version (I figure it can't hurt to tone up a little, although I don't see much of a difference). 




I rarely, if ever, give out the secret to my perfect winged liner. This is it, and I can't say enough amazing things about this bargain of a beauty product. It produces a stunning, long-wearing, deep black line every time, and the felt tip is incredibly easy to control. I've purchased at least seven of these, and I have yet to find anything that can even hold a candle to it. 

Share your bargain beauty buys below! 

1 comment:

Alice in Wonderland said...

Such awesome beauty tips! I once asked about your perfect liquid eyeliner and am so happy you are sharing with our readers! Thanks, Jamie!!