Thursday, July 19, 2012

Veg Out

It's much more promising to veg out with veggies instead of chips. 

My habit this week is to incorporate at least two servings of veggies into one of my meals/snacks throughout the day. I'll admit, it's not that I despise veggies, it's that I seriously have no idea how to be creative with them. When I think veggies, I think raw carrots dipped in hummus or ranch, or steamed. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a sure shot way to get bored.

Last night I whipped up some mini veggie frittitas so that I had my breakfast taken care of for almost the rest of the week, pretty slick. Here's how:

1 red pep
1 bunch of asparagus (give or take, your choice)
1 small onion
Broccoli 
Cheese (I used colby jack but I'm think swiss next time to switch it up)
1 1/2 tbsp oregno
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Keep in mind that these are just guidelines. Next time I may throw in some more broccoli and try adding green pep. The sky is the limit, just get your share of veggies!

After everything has been cut up, saute together in some extra v-olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until the onions turn clear. Set aside in separate dish to cool.

Next, take 8 eggs (you can add a few more if you have extra veggies) in a mixing bowl with salt/pepper/oregano/cheese and mix together. After your veggies have cooled, add them with the egg mix. Make sure they are cooled off because we don't want them actually cooking the eggs. 

Spoonful into muffin tins that have been generously coated with non-stick spray and bake for 20-25 minutes @325. I top with a little more cheese and some hot salsa before I eat them.

Store in a container and your breakfast is ready for the rest of the week! Slick eh?


Or give these a whirl for any side dish-

Step 1: pick out your veggies - I go for cauliflower/broccoli/asparagus
Step 2: little extra v-olive oil/salt/pepper/and whatever seasoning you please - mix with your veggies
Step 3: lay out on a pan and bake @325 until they've reached the crispiness you like

There are PLENTY of other ways to get your fair share of veggies and as I try more I'll report back. Till next time, how do you veg out?

No comments: