Thursday, July 12, 2012

Brekky

In the midst of writing in my nutrition journal for the day, I had a brilliant idea to share my journey with you. Simple, easy recipes that are actually doable. Each week I have a new task to work on, so I can eventually form a habit out of it, which leads to experimentation in the kitchen by yours truly. 

*The majority of the recipe ideas come from what my nutritionist sends my way but, you learn how to tweak them to your liking nonetheless.

Week 1: Eat an actual breakfast within 30 minutes of rolling out of bed

Not entirely too difficult, it was just a matter of me giving myself time to do so. That, and having an array of options in my fridge. I will say though, there is something about fixing yourself breakfast and watching a stream of coffee flow from the Keurig into your cup as you sit at the breakfast bar.

After the first week, I have discovered a few fave breakfast ideas that I have dubbed as my go-to thus far. 

Breakfast scramble & Greek yogurt parfait anyone?

If I have time in the morning I go for the breakfast scramble - here is what I use:

1. Broccoli slaw from Trader Joe's (literally a bag of shredded organic broccoli and carrots)
2. Black beans
3. Red/green peps
4. 100% cage fee liquid egg whites from Trader Joe's 
5. Cheese
6. Salsa

Saute #1-3 in a bit of extra v-olive oil and set aside in whatever you plan on eating the finished product in. Next, cook up the eggs and add to the veggies, then top with cheese and salsa. Voila! Breakfast scramble!

If I'm crunched for time I whip up a parfait - here is what I use:

1. Greek yogurt from Trader Joe's (either vanilla or honey)
2. Any kind of fresh fruit
3. Nuts (usually raw crushed walnuts or raw almond slivers)
4. Flaxseed

I don't think I really need to elaborate on how to prepare this one, but be sure if you're not an avid flaxseed user, start with about 1tsp, unless you have all day to spend at home!

Aside from these two dishes, the infamous apple and almond butter paired together are a never fail in my book. 

As I discover more I'll share with you guys, but for now, share with us what your favorite breakfast recipes are and I'll feature them on Troc Talk!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it : )
You'll have to report back if you end up whipping any of these together and let me know how it went!