Thursday, September 2, 2010

Score or Snore: Emmy Fashion Recap

With the exceptions of January Jones and Anna Paquin, I thought the Emmy red carpet was a general snooze, which is generally what I think of award show fashion. More celebrities need stylists with guts!

Here are my top 3:
 


January Jones of "Mad Men" unquestionably has my pick of the night. Jones usually opts for architectural Versace on the red carpet (this mint green number she wore to the 2009 Emmys was literally my favorite dress of the year) and I have to say that I wholeheartedly approve. She absolutely never fails to look interesting. This blue Versace makes her eyes pop, and I love her carefree hair and lack of jewelry - perfect choices.


I love this loose boho-glam ensemble on Keri Russell. The Emmys are not the Oscars, and too many television actresses take themselves too seriously. (There's a reason the washed-up film stars end up with a television series - only rarely does it work the other way around.) Keri looks feminine and positively glowing, and her accessories complement her outfit flawlessly.


I can't pin it down but I was pleasantly surprised by Jenna Fischer of "The Office." Her hair is picture perfect and she looks completely comfortable in her red Versace gown. She got a lot of heat for blending into the carpet, but I think her effortlessness makes her stand out.

Honorable Mentions:


Lea Michele of "Glee" looked nice in her navy blue Oscar de la Renta gown, but I think it's a bit too mature, especially with her heavy jewelry. Also, has anyone else noticed the amount of weight she's lost lately?!


Love that someone wore Burberry on the red carpet, but I would have loved to see this gown styled in a way that's a bit less stuffy and more true to the brand, like with a leather belt and a loose updo. Cute gold accents, but overall I'd say Jayma Mays played it pretty safe. The hair is also a yawn.  

The Bad:




LOVE that Anna Paquin of "True Blood" chose McQueen. HATE that she chose this one. (Would have preferred this shorter option, even in red.) The top seems to fit her awkwardly and the bottom portion looks haphazardly draped on her petite frame, and her hair and facial expressions are just way too severe. I'm almost scared of her.


I really don't think I have to justify why Mindy Kalig's Emmy dress is in the bad category.


I don't know who on earth told Lauren Graham that this dress was "the one." Completely and utterly unflattering.





This may be controversial, but I will say that I would have loved this look if Tina Fey's Oscar de la Renta dress was in a solid color. As it stands, I feel like aliens are trying to communicate messages to me via lace. And I think her hair looks equally as strange.

What did you think of the fashion at this year's Emmys?

No comments: