Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Golden Globes 2012 Red Carpet: Round Two

There's nothing more glamorous than a red carpet event. Why some celebrities choose this moment to have their two-year-old pick out an outfit for them is completely beyond me (I'm looking at you, Sarah). Below, see my top picks (and a couple of my worst-dressed candidates).

The Good:

Dianna Agron in Giles: This 'Glee' star heated up the Golden Globes in this fire-engine red dress with a matching red lip. The bodice of her dress also features my favorite detail of the night - laser cut swans.

Charlize Theron in Dior: I completely agree with Alice's assessment of Charlize's soft yet sexy ensemble.

Emma Stone in Lanvin: I'm partial to anyone who wears Lanvin, and particularly partial to Emma Stone's personal style. Although I don't love the silver eyeshadow, I can't help but adore this two-toned dress.

Rooney Mara in Nina Ricci: I love that she sticks to her character on the carpet. This Nina Ricci number was a bit softer than her recent choices, and I loved how her soft makeup and fluttery eyelashes played against her severe part. She played with contrast and the result is truly gorgeous.

Freida Pinto in Prada: Freida consistently chooses colors that are unbelievably flattering for her skin tone. I loved the texture on this Prada dress, and I'm glad to see her add a bold accessory to boost the look.

Reese Witherspoon in Zac Posen: Absolutely stunning. Reese manages to look completely effortless and totally sexy all in one - both adjectives that I wouldn't have used to describe her style five years ago.





The Bad:

Sarah Michelle Gellar in Monique Lhuillier: Sarah's two-year-old daughter chose this dress for her. While that anecdote is cute, this gown clearly reflects it. Don't take style advice from someone who can barely dress themselves.

Piper Perabo in Theyskens' Theory: This sheer gown is an interesting choice, but it was Piper herself that really put this dress at the bottom of the pile for me. She was prancing around and fussing with the silhouette of it all night. It would take someone with the right attitude (and the right accessories) to pull this off, and I don't think that person is Piper.

Michelle Williams in Jason Wu: How can someone who is nominated for playing Marilyn Monroe, arguably the sexiest actress of all time, not inject an OUNCE of it into her Golden Globes dress? She's a stunningly beautiful young woman, and this ensemble doesn't demonstrate it at all.


photo sources: getty images, temptalia and the LA Times

Who were your picks for best and worst dressed at the 2012 Golden Globes?

No comments: