Monday, May 4, 2009

Five hold-overs

We've talked about shopping your own closet a lot here on Troc Talk and in our weekly Trocadero Tidbits newsletter, so I've had it on my mind. As I go through my purchases from the previous summer in my own closet, I've found a few things that I know I'll be rocking all summer long (as well as a few things I plan to donate to my local consignment shop.) It just so happens that a lot of the items on my list are things we carry at Trocadero, so if you didn't pick up an ec0-chic tote or a pair of gladiator sandals last summer, you're still in luck. 

Here's my list of the top five holdover looks for the impending Omaha heat. 

1. Strappy Gladiator Sandals. Whether you opt for a comfortable flat style for everyday wear or a sexier high heeled number, last summer's Greek-inspired sandals are my top pick for what to hold on to or to invest in now. At Trocadero, we have lots to choose from: Matt Bernson's studded red "Barracuda," L.A.M.B.'s "Fuji" with its fetching triangular heel (pictured at left) or a metallic gladiator by Bettye Muller or DV Dolce Vita. I tried the "Fuji" on last weekend and can't get it out of my head. 

2. Oversized Clutches. For day or night, or day-to-night style, an oversized clutch is both chic and sensible. 
I have a number of vintage numbers at home, but if I were going to invest in a new one, my number one choice would be Anya Hindmarch's "Large Pipkin" clutch, pictured at right. It's perfect for day or night, neutral enough to be worn with everything but has gorgeous detail on the front clasp. It's an investment piece, to be sure, but one that you'd pass down to your daughters or neices without fail. I also love Kara Ross clutches, in both gold and burlap with python details, and the L.A.M.B "Ahndra Bala" clutch that Gwen herself recently carried

3. Eco-chic gear. We all know how important it is to be friendly to Mother Earth, and Trocadero helps us do it stylishly. I'm still planning to rock my Anya "I'm not a Plastic Bag" tote this summer, but if you missed out on that trend, you can check out her latest foray into eco-chic with the much-blogged about Fruit and Veg, Meat or Dairy totes. You can also pick up a canvas tote screened right here in Omaha by artist Miss Cake; we have a few in stock. New this summer is BC Footwear's "Danke" sandal, pictured above, which boldly advertises what it used to be: a rice bag. These comfy flip flops are not only eco-friendly, they're super cute. What's more is that beacuse they're made of old rice bags, each pair is singular, with subtle details that differ from pair to pair. Alice also carries a super cute phone or mp3 player case, also made from colorful recycled rice bags. 

4. Cross body bags (for day or night). Though I usually carry an
oversized bag stuffed to the gills with odds and ends, I'm totally into the idea of downsizing for the summer. I'd love to do it with Botkier's soft green "Moto" clutch, which is a petite sister to my white Botkier "Trigger" bag (that, coincidentally, Alice has too!) I prefer this beauty in green, though Trocadero also has it in black. If you're looking for a vegan style, we have a number of cross body bags in canvas and nylon by Harajuku Lovers. Botkier's "Marcel" is made for hot city nights with its long chain strap and woven gold detail on its sides. 

5. Wearing SPF every day. What's more important than our skin? I've long been a devotee of strong sunscreen, and I think its become more than a trend. It's a necessity. Luckily, lots of skin care lines are aware of the importance of skin protection, and Alice, is too: all of the face creams at Trocadero include an SPF. Korres makes both a lightweight pomegranate moisturizer and a wild rose moisturizer (at left) with SPF 6, as well as a watermelon moisturizer with SPF 30 (for pale girls like me.) Ole Henriksen has two SPF 15 moisturizers, one for normal skin and one for dry/sensitive skin. Malin+Goetz makes a SPF 30 moisturizer that we have in the store, and finally, for your little ones, pick up a tube of Susan Brown's Baby SPF 30.

Now that I've reviewed my list of summer hold-overs, tell us, what do you plan to hold on to or purchase before it gets hot in Omaha? 

No comments: