Friday, May 13, 2011

Get Your Green On

With the recent closing of The Daily Grub (an oh-so-healthy Omaha restaurant with local & seasonal produce) I've been going through veggie withdrawal... What will I do without my fresh squeezed juice and wholesome sopes?

Dubbed "veggie girl" by my siblings, I really feel my body craves healthy, unprocessed foods.  Aside from the burst of vitamins and minerals you treat your body to, fresh fruits and veggies also deliver a steady flow of energy throughout the day. 

With warmer months ahead, one of my newest and favorite things to do is make green smoothies. The combination of fruit and vegetables is fantastic! Don't turned off by the green color-- it's delicious and the wonderful feeling afterward is so rewarding. Here's one of my favorite summertime green smoothies: (adapted from 52 Kitchen Adventures)


Tropical Green Smoothie
Makes 1 big or 2 small smoothies
  • 1 C plain yogurt (my favorite is plain greek, but regular yogurt works as well)
  • 1/2 C frozen or fresh pineapple chunks*
  • 1/2 frozen or fresh banana
  • 1/2 C frozen or fresh mango chunks*
  • 2-3 big handfuls of fresh spinach
  • optional: a splash of milk (soy, dairy, almond, etc.) or juice of your choice if you prefer a thinner consistency. 
Place all ingredients in blender and blend on high until everything is pureed.
*If using all fresh fruit, you may want to add some ice

And voilĂ . Don't be surprised if you come back for seconds. 









No comments: