Thursday, May 10, 2012

Discovering Mother India

Here's how I discovered Mother India...

My friend Cayleigh and I were driving around aimlessly trying to figure out a new place to eat. I hate picking, and she had no desire in helping either, so I said: "alright, next place we drive by, we're eating." So we drove past a run down chinese place that wasn't open and then off to our left appeared Mother India. A tiny place that held some history, but they were packed with customers so we thought we might as well give it a go. 

We sat outside on the patio and listened to the people around us talk adventure and masters degrees, and I suddenly felt like we were somewhere else besides Omaha, and I love feeling like that. The atmosphere was simple and the people were sincere. They actually wanted to take care of you and make sure you were satisfied. 

So, seeing as how it was our first time and I have no idea what Indian cuisine is, our waitress was extremely helpful with recommendations. 

Here is the menu of our first adventure:

Appetizer: Naan - Tandoor bread made with white flour & mint chutney dipping sauce (extra)
If I could live on bread I would. There are a ton of different kinds of naan to pick from, so I'm assuming you can't go wrong with whatever you choose. 


Drink: Indian Chai Tea - Delicious. My friend Cayleigh has been told they serve some of the best Chai. 
I tend to zone out when I'm in unique places. Maybe it's the writer in me, but I sat there - holding my cup and saucer, staring out over the boxed plant in my oversized face shades picturing myself reading a good novel. (Who wouldn't want to experience this?)


Dish: Chicken Kashmiri - Chicken cooked with creamy banana sauce, served with a side of rice. I added medium heat to this dish, but I'll up the heat for next time.
I know how the banana sounds, I wasn't too sold on it at first either. The waitress said she hates bananas, but this is by far her favorite dish. Excellent call!

Chicken Shish Kabob - bell pepper/ginger/onion/cilantro/indian spices, served with a side of rice. Cayleigh asked for a side of sauce and they whipped her up something to add to it.


Definitely a place I will be frequenting from now on. I plan to try something different each time, so I will be sure to report back!

Hours:
Tuesday - Saturday 11-3 & 5-9
Sunday 5-9

What are some of your favorite Indian dishes? 

No comments: