Wednesday, May 26, 2010

No thanks to Carrie and Company

In a piece of shocking news....I kinda really don't like Sex and the City. I feel like a traitor to all thirtysomething and fortysomething Manhattan working women in the world of magazines, PR and fashion. But truth be told, I wasn't a huge fan of SATC when I was living in NYC either. I could hardly stomach Carrie's character, Samantha was such an over-the-top caricature and Charlotte wasn't close to anyone who I would want to befriend. It was Miranda with whom I most identified as she seemed the most real and, dare I say it, normal? It seemed truly unrealistic that any of these women would be friends with each other but I understand that TV can work its magic in many ways that suspend reality for good television.

The show came at a time when TV needed something brash, sexy and with strong female characters who were also attractive, successful and...single. It was definitely a very realistic show in depicting the type of women who do exist in NYC and showcasing the myriad of problems that women of that age had in finding love and/or balancing love, marriage and/or a career. For that very reason I tuned in and watched it and for a while enjoyed the stories that were told week in and week out.

But my interest waned rather quickly while I was still a Manhattanite myself. And then I moved to Nebraska. I watched the TBS-edited versions at night when I couldn't find anything else to watch and then when the first movie came out, I went to go see it. I found it so unentertaining that I couldn't bear to watch it again when it was on HBO or wherever it aired.

With the sequel coming out this week, I am once again faced with not really giving a shit. It seems as if so many friends (and many acquaintances) assume that this would be top of my list of things to do but frankly I'd rather poke hot coals into my eyeballs. I'll be saving my $10 and be putting it towards a bucket of balls to be used the next time I hit the golf range.

One of the only reasons why I am somewhat interested in the movie is because my good friend, shoe designer extraordinaire Brian Atwood, has a major role in the movie. Well, not him per se, but his shoes!!! Brian's gorgeous creations were both on set and off and have become SJP's go-to shoe brand.

When I first opened my shop Trocadero, I carried Brian Atwood's shoes. He's a favorite designer of mine, in addition to being a friend, and I wanted to bring the best of the best to Omaha. Unfortunately in 2007, many folks still hadn't heard of the brand and didn't know how lucky we were to have this label represented in Omaha. It's meant that I haven't been able to carry it for the past couple seasons because frankly a lot of women did not know that Brian Atwood was literally going to become the next Manolo Blahnik or Christian Louboutin. So for the past couple years (including right now), women have been snatching up stunning Brian Atwood shoes for 25%-75% off retail at Trocadero. It's not too late!
I've got some amazing circa 2008/2009 shoes that are still in the shop, such as these gold platform stunners! They are literally the most comfortable heel I have ever worn and in the softest, most flattering gold leather. We only have a size 36 left but if you are that size, I urge you to buy them! You won't be disappointed.

Tonight is the Omaha premier of the quintessential chick flick, benefitting the Junior League. I won't be there but my support is still there via two tickets I purchased to give away to two lucky Trocadero visitors as well as my help to secure a Christian Louboutin handbag for a raffle prize at the event itself.

No comments: