Wednesday, November 16, 2011

TOP THREE: My Common Scents

I think my love of candles, perfume and similarly scented items came with both age and maturity. A decade ago, a list of my favorite smells on earth would have contained fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies, Bath & Body Works' Cucumber Melon body lotion, and the $5 cinnamon apple candle my mom burned during the holidays.

While I still love these nostalgic fragrances (although they recently discontinued Cucumber Melon at Bath & Body Works), I've grown quite fond of more sophisticated scents. I've already mentioned my favorite Bond perfumes, but I've come to love filling my home with luxurious candles and sweet-smelling diffusers just as much. Below, find my three most-utilized candles.

1.) Diptyque Violette , $65.00

I would have been the first person to tell you that there was no way I was ever going to spend $65 on a candle, but this was long before my nose knew about the existence of Diptyque's Violette.

When I first started at the Troc, I made sure to research the store's products thoroughly, which included smelling every scent that made its way onto our shelves. Since then, not a work day goes by that I don't close my eyes and inhale this unbelievable floral fragrance (available at Trocadero). The subtle, sweet scent of violets is completely irresistible -I  only wish that it came in a room spray so I could wear it on a day-to-day basis.

2.) Voluspa Vervaine Olive Leaf, $18.00


I came home a few weeks ago to find my new roommate burning this Voluspa Vervaine Olive Leaf candle, and I was immediately hooked. Something about the combination of apricot and coconut wax with lemon verbena and crushed olive leaf combines to form a perfectly complex candle that is fruity yet sultry. Plus, it doesn't hurt that the Voluspa tins are so delightfully decorated!

3.) Slatkin & Co. Frosted Cupcake, $19.50
Okay, so perhaps my "sophisticated scents" theory should be revisited - but if you haven't experienced the sweet-smelling glory that lies in this candle, then I suggest you make your way to the nearest Bath and Body Works and pick up as many as possible. It's exactly what it sounds like - a delectable fragrance that manages to mix cake batter and buttercream frosting without being overwhelmingly sweet. These readily available candles often go on sale for 2 for $20, so I'd suggest you wait if possible and purchase them at a discount.


What is YOUR favorite candle? Share below!








1 comment:

Alice in Wonderland said...

My favorite Diptyque candle is Violette too! I first smelled it at the Yves Saint Laurent store on 57th Street and fell in love with it at first sniff. I thought it smelled like purple! Yum.

I also love Red Flower's Indian Jasmine!