Monday, June 6, 2011

Hit & Miss: MTV Movie Awards

The day after an award show, you can find one of us TrocTalkers dying to discuss the oh-so-stylish and not so stylish get-ups worn by attendees the night before, as per usual. The MTv 2011 Music Awards were held at Los Angeles' Gibson Ampitheatre last night, so here I am to blog about the fashion hits and misses of Hollywood's hottest starlets.

I'll give you the bad news first... The Misses: from L to R.
1. Kristen Stewart: To begin, the picture is too small to notice that her Balmain mini is
adorned with upwards of a couple hundred safety pins. I get the whole "bad-girl" vibe and appreciate it when stars are confident enough to try and pull it off. However, Kristen does not do so in this one. The dangling safety pins and studs scream "Hot Topic sales rack" at me. I also wish the dress would flatter more of her great features, other than her legs.

2. Amanda Bynes: Just gonna' start this one off with a big what in the world was she thinking! I would be the first person to come out and say I admire the work of Hervé Léger's bandage dress on almost any frame, but Amanda really killed the beauty of the dress with some whack accessories (the orange tan doesn't help, either). A black bag and nude dress never killed anyone, but the turquoise Christian Louboutins... with fringe? Um, what?

3. Cameron Diaz: I'm a fan of Cameron's fashion sense for a variety of reasons. Some being that she always dresses age-appropriate and that she highlights her rockin' bod in just the right ways. Her outfit last night wasn't the worst path she could've taken, but it seemed a little blah to me. I like how she shows off her killer legs while covering up her shoulders. But, the Phillip Lim 3.1 romper just makes her top seem boxy and gives her the mom jeans look on bottom.

4. Leighton Meester: Leighton is one of my style icons and I'm disappointed to be putting her in this category, but I can't help but think she sort of missed the memo on this one. Her eye-catching Balmain mirrored dress is expected of her, but the fit isn't good for her body. The sack-like style doesn't do it for me with those Pierre Hardy shoes. With a statement piece like that dress, you need some chunky shoes to complete the look. Strappy sandals was not the way to go.


Now, onto the good news.... The Hits: from L to R.
1. Rosie Huntington-Whiteley: I wish I were bold enough to rock a Dolce & Gabbana tiger print mini, but I'm not. Good thing Rosie is because she absolutely killed the Red Carpet last night with it. Her cat-eye make-up gave her the smoldering stare to accompany her fierce dress. The cinching at the waist shows off her hourglass figure and her lengthy legs without pushing the boundary of being overly sexy. Also, her Sergio Rossi shoes are just the right amount of feminine to balance a full body of animal print.

2. Emma Watson: I am not surprised Emma made my Hit List. She's honestly one of the few younger stars that never manages to flub her fashion choices. Not only is she absolutely stunning with her new 'do, but her Marchesa dress just adds to her amazingness. I'm told the LWD (little white dress) is the new LBD and Emma is definitely showing me why. The sparkling shoulders add the touch of glam to her otherwise traditional fitted white dress, rendering her a little piece of perfect.

3. Emma Stone: Although I love when she dons some gorgeous natural blonde locks, I love how Emma highlighted her new copper hair color with the metallic undertones in her Bottega Veneta dress. The black lace fits just perfectly around her in a boustier fitted top and gives her a great balance of feminine and edgy. I also love the dark color of her dress against her porcelain complexion. Total. Knockout.

4. Selena Gomez: I may not be a fan of her acting, but I sure am a fan of her outfit choice for last night. Neutrals have definitely been in for the past few seasons and Selena pulls them off in a flowing top and Giambattista Valli skirt. Her natural dark skin is lovely against the pale undertones in her ensemble. Selena really one-upped Amanda Bynes with the tan skin and neutral dress look here. She also one-upped quite a few starlets, landing herself as a Hit.

No comments: