Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Tasty Tip...

With summer just around the corner, taking full effect on the June 21st, I'm preparing for a three month span of good weather, good friends and great food. Some of the things I enjoy most about the season's menus are the ripe veggies, grill-outs and refreshing drinks that come around only at this time of year. Being vegetarian, I've had to find substitute dishes to keep my tastebuds tingling while everyone chows down on burgers and brats. My most recent delectable discovery was edamame hummus. I had tried the dish a few times before while at school in Los Angeles and loved it. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Blue Sushi and Sake Grill serves a great rendition of it as an appetizer. I find this stuff so yummy, I would eat it by the bowl-full if it was socially acceptable. Therefore, when I found a recipe online, I figured I'd try it. With a few adjustments, I've found the perfect balance for a bowl of the best hummus I've had.

The recipe is as follows:
1 & 1/4 c. edemame beans, shelled
1/4 c. tahini
1/4 c. water
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 clove garlic, grated
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil

To prepare: blend all ingredients but the olive oil in food processor for 30 seconds. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while still blending.

The thing I love about this dish is its versatility. Serve it as an appetizer at a cook-out or atop fresh or grilled vegetable slices as a side-dish. Any way you prepare it, you'll be guaranteed to love it.

No comments: