Thursday, June 30, 2011

Stars of Omaha Fashion Week


The Fall 2011 Omaha Fashion Week is right around the corner and this year the Troc has the pleasure of partnering with them. Omaha Fashion Week has only been around for a couple of years and is already one of the largest fashion events in the Midwest. This great event gives young designers the opportunity to flaunt what they got! This week, I decided to interview one of the youngest designers, Kate Walz, that will be debuting her new collection this coming August. Walz is only 14 and this will be her third time designing for her line 'Just Because' for OFW. Most girls her age are busy drooling over boys, having sleepovers and gossiping with their girlfriends, but Walz is not your average 14-year-old. Here is what I found out:

1.How did you get involved with OFW for the first time?
An Omaha Fashion Week director saw some of my clothing pieces at Bellwether Boutique, requested that I apply for the spring show in 2010, and I was chosen.

2.Where did your love for fashion come from and when did it start?
I have always loved fashion, but I first started designing when I was eight years old, and just starting in 4-H. I participated in the designing and sewing competitions at the local and state level. I started selling my designs at Bellwether Boutique when I was 12 years old, and started Omaha Fashion Week when I was 13.

3. How did you learn to sew garments?
I took a couple of classes at Bernina when I was eight, and everything else was self-taught. All of my designs are original, designed and sewn by me, without using a store-bought pattern.

4. How old were you when you first started designing?
I was eight years old.

5. Where do you get your design inspiration? And where do you go for your own personal fashion inspiration?
I get design inspiration from almost anywhere; nature, vintage clothing, and architecture are some of my favorite. I get my own style inspiration mostly from anything vintage, and I am constantly wearing my great grandma's old jewelry. I just wear what I like, and don't particularly follow "trends."

6. Who are some of your favorite designers?
My favorite designer is Coco Chanel, and I would definitely say i am inspired by her designs. I also look up to Jane Round, Buf Reynolds, and Dan Richters for their talent and individuality.

7. Where are your favorite places to shop?
I don't really have a favorite place to shop, but I love the stores Republic of Couture, Nouvelle Eve, Coriander, and SheLa.

8. I know this is your third time designing for OFW. Are you just as nervous/excited as the first time?
I wouldn't say I'm as nervous as the first time because all of the other designers are all so supportive. I would definitely say that I am as excited as my first time in the show however, because I think it gets even more fun every show I participate in.

9. You are one of the youngest designers for OFW. Do you feel like your age has any affect on your performance?
I don't think that my age affects my performance because Omaha Fashion Week gives all designers the same chance no matter their age.

10. What advice would you give to a first time designer for OFW?
That their line makes sense and has a flow to it. Make sure that all of the designs in your collection have the same theme so they don’t look lost.

11. What are your future plans and goals?
I would love to move to New York and have my own store where I can sell my designs. I would eventually like to participate in other Fashion Weeks all over the world, but for right now am very grateful for Omaha Fashion Week.

No comments: